RE: [Xen-users] Windows XEN - BSOD with Application Firewall Installs

To: "Christian Cartwright" <cartwright118@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Windows XEN - BSOD with Application Firewall Installs
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 13:26:58 +1100
Delivery-date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 19:27:43 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi ,
>
> I'm having the same problem as Jesse
> (http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2008-
> 03/msg00652.html), Same error messages. When I install any 3rd party
> firewall I get the BSOD. I have tried just about all of the decent
> firewalls, and a few of the not so good ones. The only one I've found
that
> works is 'Sygate' and 'BlackIce'
>
> I did look on here for an outcome of this problem and there doesn't
seam
> to be one? Is this a XEN bug that could possibly be fixed? Basically
is
> there ever going to be a workaround or something for it?
>
> Hope someone can help, Thanks in advance.

Are you using the GPLPV drivers? If you are then please give me as much
info as you can about the problem (version, text of BSoD message, etc).

If not, can you enable or disable bits of the firewall? Those suites
come with a heap of bits and pieces these days, but the most likely
culprit I suspect would be the use of or emulation of Execute
Protection, which goes a long way to stopping buffer overflow exploits.

James