RE: [Xen-users] GPLPV drivers and Windows 2008

To: "Matthieu Patou" <mat+Informatique.xen@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] GPLPV drivers and Windows 2008
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:16:05 +1100
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 16:16:46 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hello all,
>
> I have been testing a Windows 2008 server on xen 3.2-1 (from debian
> backports) on etch and I got very bad perf with GPLPV drivers with
disks
> (I can't get more than 3/5 Mo/s).
>
> I am quite sure that I have drivers enabled because device manager
show
> them and report them as working correctly.
> The difference between a normal installation and my Xen one is that I
do
> not have access to write caching optimization (the option "Enable
write
> caching on the disk" is not present at all).

The 'write caching' is presumably Windows responding to a feature
reported by the disk. As my drivers don't cache anything anyway, even if
I reported it as available it wouldn't actually do anything.

> Is there something I should do ?
> I am running 0.9.11pre17 GPLPV drivers.

Can you tell me how you are measuring performance?

Thanks

James