Re: [Xen-users] HVM falls back to qemu emulation while VMX is enabled (X

To: "Pim van Riezen" <pi+lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] HVM falls back to qemu emulation while VMX is enabled (Xen 3.1)
From: "Andrew Lyon" <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 16:15:09 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 08:15:49 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=UJlJca+3X+C2S6Au1Ch7u8ToeVd7tF43gnsHUvUVglM=; b=dOilZItlFmtS8rZ2Isro2s/EvlKpXQJuJ/FAYVjQgDQNRF3j61SURFl2ZaAGBO/TjK unZRgKbhGZ8y/nXqf0NMyzqUj0zDn2QPKAWyhmiKORYliVfEdwZ6wUXYNxid85iEGsee AeYZ3IAvVgoerclR7QZ4x7H/g+z49JvXyvJKg=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Pim van Riezen <pi+lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Oct 7, 2008, at 16:20 , Andrew Lyon wrote:
>
>>> I've briefly tried xen/xend 3.2 on the machine. If I used the
>>> /boot/xen.gz-3.2 as the hypervisor, /proc/cpuinfo would stop listing vmx
>>> among the capabilities. Going back to the RedHat version of xen-3.1 and
>>> xend-3.0, I get them back:
>>
>> Not that it helps with your problem, but not seeing vmx in
>> /proc/cpuinfo is normal for newer versions of Xen, after all Linux
>> cannot use the vmx feature as it is already being used by the Xen
>> hypervisor, so it is logical that the feature is no longer listed.
>
> At least it's good to know there is nothing inherently wrong with that
> xen-3.2 hypervisor then, although the end result on that hypervisor was the
> same (cpu of the guest got fully emulated, slower than booting GEOS on my
> C64).
>
> Pi

I don't think that is possible, afaik Xen can only run Windows through
HVM, there was a modified build of windows that was paravirtualized
but it was never released to the public, only some Xen developers at
cambridge university had access, so you are using vmx/hvm and your
problem is not that the cpu is being fully emulated, it is something
else!

Andy