Re: [Xen-users] dev86 for HVM

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] dev86 for HVM
From: jonr@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 11:54:05 -0800
Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 12:54:46 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Quoting Boris Derzhavets <bderzhavets@xxxxxxxxx>:

Xen 3.2.1 port to CentOS 5.2 doesn't require dev86 to be installed
to run HVM DomUs.
http://grantmcwilliams.com/index.php?view=article&catid=97%3Axen-howtos&id=204%3Arecompile-xen-321-for-centos-5&option=com_content&Itemid=379

I don't use a mainline distro, the OS is a custom linux built by a friend of mine. It is completely source based so everything has to be built by using the source. It does have a package management facility but I have to create the packages and add them to the repository. So in my case, I do need to install the Dev86src package to be able to have the hvm loader.

So everything I do is done with the *.tar.gz files and built by hand. This is why I ask some lame questions that the distros have already taken care of behind the scenes. I have no sweet gui or virt-install or some point and click my way to xen nirvana bliss. It is all "Use The Source Luke!". =)

Jon