Re: R: Re: [Xen-users] bridge and tcpdump

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 11:46 AM, rmarfisi@xxxxxxxxx <rmarfisi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> is possible capture the traffic in the same mode we can
> sniffing a LAN?

even on a real LAN, if your sniffer is on a switch, you won't see any
traffic not intended for you.

most programmable switches let you set a 'monitor' port, that gets
copies of other port(s) at the cost of performance (in the extreme
case, if you want to monitor all ports, performance becomes equivalent
to a hub)

> if the bridge can't capable, in other way is possible?

from Dom0 you can watch on the bridge itself.  i think that would show
all traffic.

also, you can watch on the virtual interface associated to a DomU, and
it will show all traffic to/from that DomU, from 'outside'

there are some userlevel tools that emulates a switch or a hub,
replacing the bridge on Dom0 with one of those tools (i think UML
includes one) might let you establish a 'monitor' DomU

--
Javier