Re: [Xen-users] Problems with bridged networking

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Problems with bridged networking
From: Thomas Robers <robers@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:35:31 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 02:36:07 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Steffen,

thanks for the answer

Steffen Heil schrieb:
I'm using Xen 3.0.3 on two servers with Debian Etch (amd64). These
servers have 10 nics (2 onboard and 8 in two 4-port cards) so that
every vm can have its own interface.

Just for interest... why?
Aren't they all connected to the very same switch?

Yes, that's right, the vm are partially on different
networks.

So there's no xenbr0 up and brctl shows this:
server:~# brctl show
eth0            8000.000e0c43ab3d       no              peth0

So there IS a bridge, but it's name is eth0, which is default for xen
3.2.1...

Is this normal to version 3.2.0 too? Because I only found version 3.2.0
for Debian.

Earlier versions created xenbr0 and added a virtual interface eth0, newer
versions just name the bridge eth0. Basically the same, with one indirection
less.

Ok, but is there a chance to get the other bridges up too? I tried:

        server:/etc/xen/scripts# ./network-bridge bridge=eth1 netdev=eth1 start
        ifdown: interface eth1 not configured
        Nothing to flush.
        Waiting for peth1 to negotiate link......
        Ignoring unknown interface eth1=eth1.

So that doesn't work, and I used this command for version 3.0.3 to set up all
the bridges and the message I get is the same when I use 'bridge=xenbr1'.
I also tried this:

        server:/etc/xen/scripts# ./network-bridge start netdev=eth3
bridge=xenbr3
        ifdown: interface eth3 not configured
        Nothing to flush.
        Waiting for peth3 to negotiate link.
        Ignoring unknown interface xenbr3=xenbr3.

and brctl shows the bridge named 'xenbr3':

        server:/etc/xen/scripts# brctl show
        eth0            8000.000e0c43ab3d       no              peth0
        eth1            8000.000e0c43ab3e       no              peth1
        xenbr3          8000.000e0cc51af5       no              peth3

I don't understand whats happening there. Why is there a bridge interface
like it should but I can't use it. I booted the domU (thats possible now)
which uses xenbr3 but I don't get a connection the network. In the domU the eth0
interface is up and running when I try to do a ping to the gateway ip address
I get no answer. So I don't really understand why the 'network-bridge' script
doesn't work. Do you have any other advice where I can search?

Thanks
Thomas