RE: [Xen-users] Re: domU network fails under load - vif breaks

To: "'Paul'" <xensource@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Re: domU network fails under load - vif breaks
From: "Dustin Henning" <Dustin.Henning@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 10:54:06 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 07:55:00 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        I have a backup running on four Windows HVM domains (I know you asked
for someone using PV domUs, but these are running on the PV network interfaces,
as I am using James Harper's GPLPV drivers).  All four DomUs are on the same
Dom0, which has one gigabit connection.  The backups are going toward a
separate physical backup server.  Here is a summary of said backups:

HVM1:
Start backup objects time 09/05/2008 1:11:04 AM
Elapsed backup objects time 2 hours,14 minutes,30 seconds
Completed 61743 objects, 9.33 GB (100%)
HVM2:
Start backup objects time 09/05/2008 2:18:36 AM
Elapsed backup objects time 57 minutes,30 seconds
Completed 38071 objects, 6.05 GB (100%)
HVM3:
Start backup objects time 09/05/2008 2:21:41 AM
Elapsed backup objects time 57 minutes,15 seconds
Completed 36175 objects, 5.94 GB (100%)
HVM4:
Start backup objects time 09/05/2008 1:17:47 AM
Elapsed backup objects time 1 hour,30 minutes,30 seconds
Completed 36101 objects, 5.92 GB (100%)

        As you can see, these backups overlap, so the network usage across the
bridge/NIC would be even higher than what it takes to back up 6 GiB in just
under an hour (I suspect that is quite a bit more than 3.6Mbps, but I haven't
calculated or benchmarked).  Also, as you can see here, they have been running
for some time:

[virtadmin@virt1 ~]$ sudo /usr/sbin/xm list
Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs      State   Time(s)
Domain-0                                     0  2858     4     r----- 160986.6
xm1                                         17  2048     1     ------ 233816.8
xm2                                         18  1024     1     -b---- 188676.6
xm3                                         19  1024     1     -b---- 166046.2
xm4                                         20  1024     1     -b---- 171760.6
[virtadmin@virt1 ~]$ uptime
 10:50:40 up 65 days, 20:45,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00

        The DomUs are currently IDs 17-20 because of reboots for software
installs, updates, and whatnot.  xm1's output from systeminfo shows it has been
up for 17 Days, 18 Hours, 24 Minutes, 31 Seconds.  This is with the backup
mentioned above running 5 times a week.

        Anyway, I am running Fedora 8 with a kernel from their repo.  I have
attached the .config for that kernel in case you want to compare.  The version
matches yours, but it's hard telling what additional patches the Fedora kernel
might include (though technically said patches would be available with the
source, which should be downloadable from multiple mirrors, so I guess it's not
so hard telling).  Hope this is helpful,
        Dustin