RE: [Xen-users] 32bit domains on 64-bit Xen

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] 32bit domains on 64-bit Xen
From: "Joseph L. Casale" <JCasale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 11:13:39 -0600
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 10:14:16 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>I'm looking for information and guidance on how to deploy
>a 64-bit Xen HV running either VT-{x|i} or AMD-V with 32-bit
>unprivileged guests.

U mean 64 DomO with 32bit DomU's? Yes...
"64-bit Xen HV running..." HV's don't "run" anything, they *are* being ran :)
HV == HVM == HyperVirtualMachine versus PV == PVM == ParaVirtualMachine
Check wiki for tables pertaining to compat.

>1) Can I use the open-source Xen implementation to run 32-bit Win XP
>in multiple domU(s)?  I am guessing that I need hardware that supports
>either AMD-V or VT-{x|i} to do that.  I don't want to run any kind of
>doctored Windows XP implementation.  I just want to run the vanilla product.

Yes, you need appropriate hardware support, wiki has method to check.

>2) Furthermore, can I run this kind of configuration on a 64-bit chip
>with up to 128GB of memory?

Pretty much.

>3) If I run with this kind of configuration, what's the preferred OS for
>dom0?  64-bit Debian?  32-bit Debian?  Solaris?  RedHat?

I like CentOS, but use what your comfortable with.

>4) Is there a blog or a FAQ that addresses these kinds of neophyte
>questions?

This list:) Search the web for many tib bits here and there...

>Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated and, most definitely,
>heeded.

Keep asking what you need!
Good luck,
jlc