RE: [Xen-users] windows xp/xen cpu utilization

To: "'Achievement Chan'" <achievement.hk@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] windows xp/xen cpu utilization
From: "Dustin Henning" <Dustin.Henning@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 11:36:57 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 08:37:37 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I believe that the stock CentOS5 kernel is new enough to work fine with ACPI on Windows VMs, but I am not certain.  I suspect xm info would return a newer version of Xen, and even if it didn’t, I suspect RedHat would have the appropriate patches to fix that included in RHEL 5 (CentOS being a clone).  That said, since I really don’t know for sure, you might try disabling ACPI to see if it makes a difference (you can disable it in the config and the ACPI kernel will boot without it, you can’t have multiple VCPUs without ACPI, though, so if you have multiple CPUs, you will have to cut it to one to test this).  If you have the problem with ACPI disabled, you might try booting into Safe Mode to see if it isn’t something in Windows (you could even try that first).  Aside from that, I don’t know of anything that will cause that.  I think bad drivers, bad hardware (“hardware” in this case), bad software, and Deferred Procedure Calls all cause an increase in CPU utilization in Task Manager (even if it is as the “System” process).  Assuming I am wrong about DPCs and they don’t show up in Task Manager, these articles could prove interesting (though not necessarily very helpful):

http://www.networkworld.com/search/searchresults.html?qt=DPC&hpg1=sb&search=DPC

Starting about halfway through this one: http://www.networkworld.com/columnists/2007/092507-gearhead.html

Dustin