Re: [Xen-users] Report to a domU a change on a disk

To: Alain Barthe <ab266061@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Report to a domU a change on a disk
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 16:40:50 +0300
Cc: "Angel L. Mateo" <amateo@xxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 06:41:25 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 03:28:48PM +0200, Alain Barthe wrote:
> 2008/9/1 Angel L. Mateo <amateo@xxxxx>
>
> > Hello,
> >
> >        I have a Xen dom0 (Debian Etch running xen 3.0.3) running different
> > domUs. DomUs' disks are LVM2 volumes. Now I have increased the size of
> > one of these LVM volumes so I have to inform to the corresponding domU
> > that its disk has increased its size (to resize it without unmounting
> > it). How can I do this?
>

> It seems AFAIK that you cannot tell an alive domU that its disk has grown
> without detaching and re attaching this disk. So if the disk supports the
> root filesystem, you can't.

I think there has been some patches for notifying domU about disk size
changes, but those are not integrated into Xen.

You could always run LVM in domU, add new disk from dom0 to domU, create PV
into it,
and the new disk to the existing VG in domU.

> Also, you can't resize a filesystem without unmounting it (
> http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_resizing_ext3_partitions).

I think ext3 nowadays supports online resizing.. ?

-- Pasi