Re: [Xen-users] RHEL 5.2 Xen Kernel doesn't detect all amount of physica

To: Ido Levy <IDOL@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] RHEL 5.2 Xen Kernel doesn't detect all amount of physical memory
From: Sadique Puthen <sputhenp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 20:16:07 +0530
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 07:54:08 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ido Levy wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Does anyone know what is the current status of RHEL 5.2 x86_64 with respect
> to the maximum amount of RAM detected by the Xen 64 bit kernel
> (the one that shipped with Red Hat distribution )
>
> In the following link
> https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/en-US/RHEL510/Virtualization_Guide/ch-virt-hw-support.html
> it states that 32GB of RAM is the maximum amount of physical memory the Xen
> kernel can detect. Is it still the updated status ?
>

>From RHEL-5.2 release note at
https://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.2/html/Release_Notes/x86_64/ar01s06.html

"The hypervisor can now support up to 512GB of memory. To ensure that
the system properly detects and uses this much memory, boot the
virtualized kernel with the parameter |xenheap_megabytes=64|."

There is currently a limitation of 16GB memory on 32 bit hypervisor. So
u should use a 64bit version of RHEL to see all the 64GB of memory.

--Sadique