Re: [Xen-users] Converting VMWare Machine with SCSI disks

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Converting VMWare Machine with SCSI disks
From: "Andrew Lyon" <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:35:13 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:35:55 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=NLjYMFzW+uXai/bmqeclvj2gomaJO+M2rI7ZRUbHrGQ=; b=IB1fEJN6T7/kmS+JV/IQYMPFqhA7kuFYIZbH2BNq2PBQQUL6kVjCDpI1PWmPGpvGeL lN3ees/wscvJFMXf/4RDTGwiiicXsHntTzfCglB4TY/cEodabx8TblnJ2myYVW9xFFMS c8RfvSSRZAd7bLeQFag7HxoMxkeQkyY5nf+Ts=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 5:58 PM, James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've used this document as a guide for converting systems to xen domUs.
> http://ian.blenke.com/vmware/vmdk/xen/hvm/qemu/vmware_to_xen_hvm.html
>
> If the VMWare machine has IDE drives this works well. If the VMWare
> machine has SCSI drives, I don't think I've gotten any of them to work.
> I currently have two Win2k servers and now a win2k3 server that I've
> tried converting.

Are you sure you followed  Microsoft kb314082 correctly? You only
actually need to add the intel section to the registry.

Perhaps its a HAL issue? My target Xen vm has two cpus so I made sure
that the Computer driver was set to ACPI Multiprocessor.

I have done this process several times to p2v windows 2003 servers
using a rather convoluted method of using vmware converter to import
the physical install to a vmware vm, booting it once in vmware,
following  Microsoft kb314082, and then converting the vmdk to Xen
disk, once booted in Xen I have installed the GPLPV drivers.

I have had no success getting the GPLPV drivers to work in Windows
2008, and bizzarely most of the messages I have sent to the list about
the problem have disappeared, I never get a posting receipt message
and they are no in the list archives, I wonder if this message will
get through as I mention the subject again... very strange.

Andy