RE: [Xen-users] GPLPV Driver and SMP

To: "Klaus Steinberger" <klaus.steinberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] GPLPV Driver and SMP
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 20:30:28 +1000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 03:31:07 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> [  5]  0.0-10.0 sec    339 MBytes    284 Mbits/sec
> [  4]  0.0-10.0 sec    344 KBytes    281 Kbits/sec
>
> As you can see the direction to the domU is fast, but the other way is a
>   factor of 1000 slower.

Yeah. That certainly is sucky performance :|

Is that the same with and without SMP (I've just gotten back from a holiday
and I have a cold so forgive me if you've already answered that question)

Can you turn off Large Send Offload in the Advanced properties of the
network adapter in device manager?

If that makes a big difference, can you do a test in the direction of most
suckiness, and capture port 5001 traffic on the vifX.0 interface in Dom0,
and the xennet network interface in the DomU? Then send them both to me, or
give me a link to somewhere I can download them from. 344Kbytes of packets
isn't much (although I'd expect it will be a bit more without -d), but you
can reduce that again if you use the -t option to reduce the test time to a
few seconds and then gzip it (iperf data gzips beautifully).

Thanks

James