Re: [Xen-users] Xen and iSCSI - options and questions

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, 20. August 2008 15:25 schrieb John Madden:
> > The relevant fix is in the "xen-domUloader.diff" patch in the SuSE
> >  SRPM. When applied to the stock install, my hotplug scripts are
> >  triggering happily. I have to debug some issues with them under Centos
> >  and the iscsiadm paths are different from SuSE, but I'm on the right
> >  path now. (There's a ton of other SuSE fixes in their SRPM as well,
> >  but I was trying to keep a minimal change set so as to be as "stock"
> >  as possible.)
> Why not just side-step all of this and do your iSCSI initiating in dom0,
> then LVM the LUN and boot the domU off of a phy: allocation?  I've seen
> several posts lately regarding the complexities of iSCSI, booting
> domU's, etc., and I'm wondering why no one is just treated like normal
> SAN or SCSI LUNs.

in a two Hardware-Setup it's also better not to make iscsi over lo but use the
logical volume direct.

So my solution ist to make stable device names (e.g. /dev/$DOMUNAME-sda
and  /dev/$DOMUNAME-sdb) on every xen host. It doesn't matter if these are
real devices or links to real devices. OK, it's a little overhead to make
this stable naming scheme but with this my xen-host can also be storage-host
while doing live migration.

--
greetings

eMHa