[Xen-users] FreeBSD HVM Guest boots very slow.

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] FreeBSD HVM Guest boots very slow.
From: "John Mathews" <mathjm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:18:50 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:19:27 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:mime-version:content-type; bh=QXvnAFFfim7oD+kBsnot0JQN3kS6v/hMZ17aylPnnE8=; b=gJC0aPR84dwAZWVqd7+mT+3QN2jVr7oWofkxrLVShqrMtThUEO5/RLwHKiUJIUr75Y SIvgreuJy26BeD/IAyFrFhiF4hhrKqiMFBA/y6RHooMkqEvqencba7YueC0NVOw/5Kye 0uaSAnWpcOCq/ek1v7xJesh8YGWBdxcyVCmuk=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello Everyone

I am trying to boot to a FreeBSD HVM guest on an RHEL5 Dom0.
I have around 2GB memory installed in the system and below is my xen config file.

name = "FreeBSD7"
builder = "hvm"
memory = "256"
disk = ['file:/home/freebsd.img,ioemu:hda, w']
vif = [ 'type=ioemu,bridge=eth1' ]
device_model = "/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm"
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
vnc=0
sdl=1
boot="c"
vcpus=2
acpi="0"
on_reboot   = 'restart'
on_crash    = 'restart'

I am able to boot to FreeBSD guest OS with the above configuration. Things work well.

But as soon as I add a new line to the above config to hide one pci device, [pci=["0000:xx:00.0" ] ]
the FreeBSD booting becomes almost 10 times slow. Any idea what could be the reason ?

Going through a couple of other responses here, I could figure out that the Disk IO reads will be
pretty slow from an HVM guest without PV drivers. But I am not able understand why this happens
only when I try to  hide a device.

I was wondering if anyone had any information on this. Please post your responses if you could
think of any possible cause for this or you have some suggestion to make my FreeBSD guest faster.

Regards,
mjm