Re: [Xen-users] xen 3.2.1 / 2.6.18.8-xen dom0 with pci_bus_probe_wrapper

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen 3.2.1 / 2.6.18.8-xen dom0 with pci_bus_probe_wrapper error
From: Markus Hochholdinger <Markus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 22:00:43 +0200
Cc: Scott Garron <web-xenbugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:10:23 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Am Montag, 4. August 2008 19:48 schrieb Scott Garron:
> Zoltan HERPAI wrote:
[..]
>       Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that because a fresh
> compile of my old build tree, a build tree that previously worked,
> yields the same crash result, it seems to be somehow related to the
> version of gcc or development libraries with which I used to compile it.

i have the same problem. Compiling 2.6.18.8 dom0 with gcc and libs from lenny
produces a misfunctioning dom0 kernel which reboots my machine.
I made me a chroot etch environment for building the dom0 kernel and this one
works as expected. I assume some misfunctioning optimisations from gcc!?

To be clear, i tested it twice on the same machine. First time i was testing a
lot of things with lenny. Second time a made a "clean room" installation and
documented each step. Each time I made the exactly same steps to compile
dom0, one time in lenny and one time in (chrooted) etch (on the same
hardware, on the same kernel).

I've two Intel Xeon Quad Core E5430 @ 2.66GHz in this machine. If it helps, i
could also catch some kernel messages of the crashing kernel.

--
greetings

eMHa