Re: [Xen-users] Adding a block device to a new Linux Guest

To: "Omer Khalid" <Omer.Khalid@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Adding a block device to a new Linux Guest
From: Tej <bewith.tej@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 11:40:28 +0530
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 23:11:12 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=YLB4xcFSYdQwJ1pKSWUVLYPQYhM7KAh/FWDFOWqgcww=; b=f4shgC2Ml1rRfMQNpkcUxmkTlrHwIShXZXKSGtEsYfnG0/L/w4awUv8WbGs9dxGqrd HCEyAtRmCXi68hVfKvhGn5NAMI+KTf50WcVv0dR9354dlIg8kYMFp71iCdzXjCv12j5j c88wgWVUQfuhb1rsLwjPJf4J6VV+qW73yFWB8=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 11:17 PM, Omer Khalid <Omer.Khalid@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to add an additional block device (read-only) to my guest VM
> where I want to put some additional software necessary for my executing code
> in the VM. I am following the following steps:
> 1) add the additional disk entry to the xen configuration
>     disk =
> ['phy:/dev/volumegroup/xen-root,xvda1,w','phy:/dev/volumegroup/xen-swap,xvda2,w',
>  'phy:/dev/volumegroup/software,xvdb1,r'
> ]
> 2) In the guest OS image /etc/fstab file, I have added the following line to
> mount the additional block device when booted;
>     /dev/xvdb1      /software               ext3            defaults
>        0       0
> 3) In guest OS root filesystem, i have created the "software" directory so
> that fstab could mount it to the additional block device at the boot time
> 4) Then I start the guest VM.
> The problem is that the guest boots up and works fine but there is neither a
> block device /dev/xvdb1 available nor mounting it manually to /software
> works!
> Any ideas? I have tried both "xvdb" and "xvdb1" in the xen configuration
> files but luck so far!

try this
on dom0:
xm block-attach domU_id phy:/dev/volumegroup/software /dev/xvdb1 w
on domU:
mount /dev/xvbd1 /software

or you are reboot the domU as well by having above fstab entry

HTH