[Xen-users] Xen Setup

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen Setup
From: "Alan" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 08:56:44 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 08:57:30 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi All,

I am interested in deploying Xen to replace an existing Virtuozzo based virtual server solution we are currently using. However due to the differences in how it works etc., I would like some clarification on our proposed setup:

Firstly, what is the recommended OS for running Xen? We are thinking of using 32bit CentOS 5 as the dom0 OS and probably CentOS 5 domUs as well.

Secondly, due to using a 32bit OS, technically we’d be limited to using 4GB ram in the server but I have read Xen is capable of utilising PAE on 32bit systems to utilise more than 4GB ram. So in this case, we would like to use 8GB of ram to split up amongst the Xen VPSes. Will this be fine? Or will Xen not utilise the full 8GB available?

Lastly, we need to be able to “upgrade” and “downgrade” a VPS’s disk space easily. Under Virtuozzo all we need to do is change the number of disk blocks allocated and reboot the VPS. Can we do something similar with Xen, for instance using LVM partitions? I have read you can either allocate a normal non-LVM partition, a LVM partition or a file based partition as the “disk” for the VPS. I am looking for a way to easily increase or decrease the space a VPS has without having to be fiddling with partition tables and resizing manually using fdisk.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me answers to the above!

Regards,

Alan