[Xen-users] gplpv 0.9.11-pre10 BSODs

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] gplpv 0.9.11-pre10 BSODs
From: Denis Cardon <denis.cardon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 19:03:02 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 10:03:43 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi everyone,

first I would like to thank James for the incredible works he is doing on the gplpv driver. I've been following the developpement for sometime with hard time installing and many BSODs. Now it installs like a charm (just press next a few time then reboot). No more little exclamation mark in the device manager, quick boot, good performance. Well we are getting close to a release!

I stress tested it during a few days and performance were ok. I have noticed that it works very poorly when using weird block size, but well, it is more than enough for normal use anyway.

So here is my issue : since it was performing ok, I wanted to give it a try on a non mission critical app (a few users rdesktoping on a ms access front end connecting through odbc to a postgres database). Performance are ok and user experience is quite positive.

However about once per day, I get a BSOD that not only freeze the windows domU, but also make the dom0 unusable (ie if I try to xm create it just hang). The BSOD says (French localised screenshot attached) :

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

*** STOP : 0x000000D1 (0x00CA0B2C,0x000000FF,0x00000001,0x808877FA)

I have not found a scenario for reproducing this error, actually it just happen sometime in the day. It is not load related because the stress test where much heavier on ressources and never produced a BSOD.

Is there any config file parameters that I should be carefull about ? (I already removed the ioemu flag from the network card). Any advice or hint to get this Windows behaving nicely?

Cheers,

Denis

--
Denis Cardon