Re: [Xen-users] Recompile Ubuntu Xen 2.6.24 Kernel

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 22:44 +0100, Mark Williamson wrote:
> I'd have thought it would be possible to use apt to retrieve the appropriate
> source without needing to use git but I'm not familiar enough with Debian
> matters to tell you the exact procedure off the top of my head.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

You can use apt, what you get is a tagged snapshot of the Git tree +
patches that are applied to build different types of kernels.

apt-get source linux-image-2.6.24-xx gets that snapshot. The stuff in
debian/ is what's used to turn that (more or less) pristine kernel into
xen0, openvz, rt, server, desktop, etc ...

Unless you need to go to a different version of the kernel, there's no
need to use git to fetch it, apt is fine.

It can be rather confusing to people who aren't familiar with the Debian
build system.

Regards,
--Tim