Re: [Xen-users] Centos Dom0 kernel panic on boot

To: Arvind Sujeeth <asujeeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Centos Dom0 kernel panic on boot
From: Alexander Hoßdorf <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 22:33:23 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 13:34:12 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

could you say what modules your sata device is using?
if you don't know, then please do "lsmod" with your working centOS kernel and try to guess what module it is.

I guess you have to use a newer version of the module needed.

Cheers,
Alex

Arvind Sujeeth schrieb:
hello,

I am attempting to compile a Dom0 CentOS 5.2 guest from source, using XenLinux 2.6.18.8 with a Xen 3.2.1 hypervisor. I am able to compile the Dom0 kernel, but when I attempt to boot into it, I receive the following messages:

mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory

As the serial console log attached shows, there is some problem with the SATA drivers that seems to be preventing the hard disks from being mounted. I am running this on an HP wx9400 workstation (AMD 64 bit Opteron, with 2 SATA disks using an on-board RAID controller).

I have tried several kernel configurations, including the default XenLinux configuration, a modified version of my native kernel configuration (with Xen options turned on), and a configuration set with 'make allmodconfig'. I have tried ramdisks created using just mkinitrd with no options, and also using `--with=scsi_mod --with=sd_mod --with=sata_nv` as well as the same thing except using `--preload=..`

The one thing that seems suspicious in the XenLinux configuration is that the SCSI/SATA symbols have different names than the symbols in my native CentOS kernel that does boot (2.6.18-92). When I try to copy the native config, I get several warnings about unrecognized symbols, and have to go manually turn on the SATA drivers in `make menuconfig`.

If anyone has any insight or suggestions, I really appreciate it.

thanks,
Arvind

__________ Hinweis von ESET NOD32 Antivirus, Signaturdatenbank-Version 3280 (20080718) __________

E-Mail wurde geprüft mit ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com