Re: [Xen-users] Xen installation : Python C API mismatch

To: "Mark Williamson" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen installation : Python C API mismatch
From: "Antoine Benkemoun" <antoine.benkemoun@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 22:40:57 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 13:41:47 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=KTzf//Ie72e9oMT3PgABmLI5g7qOVHnQDD1nW5izvbg=; b=Z3ryXziBTskQ3LqnxnNkW6UtQhgmoU3OFBD5cO4gZFU32behHcUmTBj0N6yzZYqSiD acymFI8iKYQ88uKWFElfvTM+yn/MEhuxRFrN4QSlEsgxU7XTYZyBH26CDB66D3QnPRrM ztZApKKze4mTthpobm4UIg2F5yPzEMxmJMyUI=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have to admit I am a bit lost here. Concerning userspace tools, I don't really know what you are talking about.

Also, the command lines you have given me will remove Xen. After that's done, do I just reinstall using the binaries or do I do something else ?

I am starting to think that this is going to be too complex to fix. I think the big error that I made is trying to install it on a Lenny Sid. I don't remember that ever working for me... I think just installing it on a Stable Etch should do the trick without having to bother to spend hours patching this to achieve mediocre stability.

Does anyone happen to have any feedback on install Xen on a Debian Sid Lenny or Sid Etch ? I don't recall that ever working on previous occasions.

Antoine

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 10:32 PM, Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday 17 July 2008, you wrote:
> I just did make install-tools and it didn't change anything. I don't know
> if I was supposed to do something else for it to take action.

Bad luck with getting the free trip, I was hoping to avoid that for you. :-(

make install-tools should work, it's only a userspace problem you have.  Did
you try to uninstall the existing userspace tools first as I suggested?
Reinstalling Xen / XenLinux will *definitely* not help with Python <-> C API
problems.

I went and poked in the Makefile for you and found that "make uninstall" runs
the following (I've removed the lines that delete the hypervisor and the
XenLinux kernel stuff, since you want to keep those).

You should substitute appropriate values for the environment variables.  $(D)
should be set to the empty string, LIBDIR is probably /usr/lib.  Please
double check the following commands for sanity as you always should before
rm -rf.  Don't trust me too much :-)

       rm -rf $(D)/etc/init.d/xend*
       rm -rf $(D)/etc/hotplug/xen-backend.agent
       rm -f  $(D)/etc/udev/rules.d/xen-backend.rules
       rm -f  $(D)/etc/udev/xen-backend.rules
       rm -f  $(D)/etc/sysconfig/xendomains
       rm -rf $(D)/var/run/xen* $(D)/var/lib/xen*
       rm -rf $(D)/usr/bin/xen* $(D)/usr/bin/lomount
       rm -rf $(D)/usr/bin/cpuperf-perfcntr $(D)/usr/bin/cpuperf-xen
       rm -rf $(D)/usr/bin/xc_shadow
       rm -rf $(D)/usr/bin/pygrub
       rm -rf $(D)/usr/bin/setsize $(D)/usr/bin/tbctl
       rm -rf $(D)/usr/bin/xsls
       rm -rf $(D)/usr/include/xenctrl.h $(D)/usr/include/xenguest.h
       rm -rf $(D)/usr/include/xs_lib.h $(D)/usr/include/xs.h
       rm -rf $(D)/usr/include/xen
       rm -rf $(D)$(LIBDIR)/libxenctrl* $(D)$(LIBDIR)/libxenguest*
       rm -rf $(D)$(LIBDIR)/libxenstore*
       rm -rf $(D)$(LIBDIR)/python/xen $(D)$(LIBDIR)/python/grub
       rm -rf $(D)$(LIBDIR)/xen/
       rm -rf $(D)/usr/lib/xen/
       rm -rf $(D)/usr/local/sbin/setmask $(D)/usr/local/sbin/xen*
       rm -rf $(D)/usr/sbin/xen* $(D)/usr/sbin/netfix $(D)/usr/sbin/xm
       rm -rf $(D)/usr/share/doc/xen
       rm -rf $(D)/usr/share/xen
       rm -rf $(D)/usr/share/man/man1/xen*
       rm -rf $(D)/usr/share/man/man8/xen*