Re: [Xen-users] Consolidating machines using xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Consolidating machines using xen
From: Andy Burns <lists.xensource.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 10:01:47 +0100
Delivery-date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 02:02:25 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[resend to list]

On 13/07/2008 05:12, Christopher Isip wrote:

I dont think it is possible to have s FC9 domU at this point. From what I've read, it is in transition and pciback is not working.

You can have an F9 domU, but as you point out it can't do pci
passthrough, you can't have an F9 dom0 at at all

A CentOS 5.2 domU with the centosplus kernel will have the V4L drivers
that a mythbackend will require

I have an Ubuntu 8.04 domU running mythbackend and that seems to be working fine except for ivtv DMA timeouts here and there in dmesg. I am not sure that the DMA timeouts are a xen issue though.

Sounds a familiar tale, I had to build a centosplus kernel with my the
saa7134 module enabled, and fix an mmio bug, but unfortunately I have a
DMA related kernel panic, it used to strike within minutes on FC8 dom0 +
xen3.1, now it will last about 24 hours on Centos5.2 dom0 + xen 3.2

I keep looking through the xen/v4l code for clues, but not got past
sprinkling in a few prinkt()s so far.

I am hoping that someone will come up with an error free mythbackend domU setup using pvr 250s and pvr 500s one day and post how they did it. Also, you will need to play with swiotlb a bit to get everything working. Increasing swiotlb memory allowed me to increase mpeg buffer memory as well to prevent dropped frames from "Not reading fast enough" errors.

Actually now I don't need to use swiotlb or dom0_mem settings at all,
and when mine works, it works well, i.e. 3 concurrent recording per
tuner, no problems with dropping data at all, if I choose programs on
the same mux it'll record for 24h at a stretch, the DMA issue seems to
occur when the mythbackend is tuning to a different mux, and every now
and then this changes to a different set of buffers which xen isn't
happy to do DMA with.

hear from other mythtv xen users. I dont think there are very many of us out there.

mythusers[xen]++;