Re: [Xen-users] shifting from VMware ESX to XEN

To: "Arpan Jindal" <jindalarpan@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] shifting from VMware ESX to XEN
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 08:02:23 -0600
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 07:03:06 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, this depends on what exactly you mean.  I've been doing the same thing over the past year or so.  I still run ESX for certain things, but my main concern was getting my Linux VMs off of ESX and onto Xen where I can run them as PV domUs instead of HVM or ESX VMs.  Since I was converting most of them from fully virtualized to paravirtualized, I decided just to rebuild most of them from scratch.

However, Xen does have the tap:vmdk block driver you might try which should be able to access your vmdk files.  I've actually not tried this, yet (no time lately), but it may provide a way for you to just copy your vmdk files over to your Xen box and create new domUs using those vmdks.  You should be able to use the driver on either PV or HVM domUs - if you're doing PV you'll want to make sure that you have a PV kernel installed in the ESX VM before you shut it down to copy it.  Also, Xen can use pygrub or domUloader to boot the kernel directly from the boot or root partition of the vmdk file and not have to worry about having the kernel image and initrd directly on dom0.  If you're using HVM, you'll need to make a new initrd file that will work with the hardware that Xen uses in HVM.

-Nick

>>> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at  5:14 AM, "Arpan Jindal" <jindalarpan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi

i am having few virtual machine running under vmware esx that i want to host on Xen.

is there any way i can do that?

thanks in advance

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information. In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox. Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.