Re: [Xen-users] 32 on 64bit

To: XEN User - listmembers <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] 32 on 64bit
From: Stephan Seitz <s.seitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 12:36:28 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 03:32:37 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Steffen Heil schrieb:
Hi

Since today I am using 32bit linux paravirt domains on a 64bit dom0 and
64bit hypervisor.

My personal impression is that these 32bit domains are much slower than
their 64bit counterparts.

Can this be true? Can someone verify or falsify this?

This highly depends on the libc version your domU is running.
Make sure you've a xen-aware (aka nosegneg) libc installed.
On debianlike distros the package is libc6-xen.

If you're running an older distro or otherwise unable to setup
such a libc, a workaround is to remove /lib/tls. This is advertised
by Xen as move /lib/tls to /lib/tls.disabled
This has be done everytime the libc is updated.

As a "softer" alternative, you could first try to add
hwcap 0 nosegneg
to your /etc/ld.so.conf or (on newer versions) to a new
file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ (e.g. /etc/ld.so.conf.d/libc6-xen )

Cheers,

Stephan

Regards,
  Steffen