[Xen-users] Unreliable network on win2k3?

To: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Unreliable network on win2k3?
From: James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 11:30:00 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 08:30:38 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've been struggling with this for the last week. I'm trying to install
new helpdesk software that connects to an Oracle database on another
system. In all of the following instances I am able to run SQL Plus and
connect to Oracle.

1) Originally I had version 0.8.8 of the xenpv drivers, but the system
was loading without /gplpv switch. When running the helpdesk setup it
would take several tries just to get past the oracle authentication
step. Once I would get past it, then it would complain about various
other issues.

2) With the help of another thread, I was able to get 0.8.8 xen drivers
removed. I started the setup and was able to get by the login without a
problem. I shutdown the machine and backed up that instance of my img
file.

3) Next I installed 0.9.10 of the xen drivers. With these installed I
was able to get past the login on one shot. The setup continued as I
would expect. When it started doing the actual install, it bombed losing
connection to the database. I tried several times and it continues to
lose connection.

4) Down the machine and bring up the version with no xenpv drivers. Last
night, in step two I had no problems with the login. Trying again this
morning, I again can't get past the login, although I can login fine
with SQL Plus.

5) Went back to my XenPV 0.9.10 version of the machine. Installed
wireshark and captured communication to database server. Also ran a
continuous ping from dom0 to domU. Now the installation went without a
hitch.

I'm assuming the continuous ping made the difference, but it certainly
concerns me. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for determining what
the problem really is?

Thanks,
James