Re: [Xen-users] Importing Windows XP installation

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Importing Windows XP installation
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 10:56:13 +0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 20:56:57 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
flinco@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Few days ago I followed a two step procedure:
- first (on Windows) I created a VMWare image of WinXp partition using "VMWare
converter"
- then (on Linux) I converted the VMWare image into a qemu image with the
following commands:
vmware-vdiskmanager -r win_xp.vmdk -t 0 win-xp-flattened.vmdk
qemu-img convert win_xp-flattened.vmdk win_xp.img

Then I transferred the image on /dev/sda4:
dd if=win_xp.img of=/dev/sda4

It works and I can boot properly.

WOW! I never thought you'd actually follow the two-step procedure. Congratulations for getting it to boot!

But now I must face other problems:
- I know I must reactivate WinXP; to reactivate I need it recognize a NIC but
it doesn't.
In win_xp.vhm I set:
vif = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=00:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, bridge=xenbr0, model=rtl8139' ]
This because (in Safe Mode I discovered that a RTL8139 NIC driver is already
installed even if the actual installed NIC is a RTL8111/8168B.

Not sure if you need it. Here's the relevant line on my config :

vif = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, bridge=brxxx' ]
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/rootvg/gplpvlv,hda,w', 'file:/data/src/iso/my_cd_image.iso,hdc:cdrom,r' ]

No model needed, WinXP automatically detectes my NIC.

For the record I'm using all original Fedora 8 stuff (xen-3.1.2 with kernel
2.6.21.7) with no change to any config script.

Other problem:
I get last stable WindowsXenPV driver from http://www.meadowcourt.org
I booted HVM win_xp and I installed them in Safe Mode.

Before you go there should should first make sure that you can boot to normal mode (not safe mode) successfully. I'd generally say don't bother with gplpv if you're still having problem.

GPLPV should increase disk/network performance, but it's stil in testing (alpha/beta) stage. See http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenWindowsGplPv/Installing for installation, section "Installing (0.9.5 and above)". I tested it on XP-SP2/RHEL5.2/Xen-3.2.1, it works great. Not sure about xen-3.1 though.

Installing gplpv will change the drivers for disk and NIC, so if want to reactivate your installation you should do that AFTER getting gplpv to work.

Regards,

Fajar