Re: [Xen-users] lost network connectivity after update to 3.0.3

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
my apologies for my broken nomenclature. when i refer to 'domU' i should
have been referring to 'dom0'. i'm fairly new to xen, if that wasn't
already obvious!

Dom0 is reachable I presume, whats the output of #`brctl show` ?

I havent used the distro supplied Xen from CentOS in so long, but is it possible
that the network scripts changed?

Cat your xend-config.sxp for network-script, see what network script your using:
# cat /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp | grep network
(network-script multi-network-bridge)

Cat that script, see what bridge names it uses:
# cat /etc/xen/scripts/multi-network-bridge
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=0 netdev=eth0 bridge=eth0
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=1 netdev=dummy0 bridge=dummy0
.
.
.
Cat a vm's config, see what it wants to use:
# cat /etc/xen/builder.pv | grep vif
vif = [ 'bridge=eth0, mac=00:16:3E:77:A5:D7', ]

Long shot, but if Dom0 can see the rest of the lan, I know xen changed this
somewhere along the line. I doubt RH did but worth a try.

jlc
thanks for the reply. i did include the 'brctl show' output, but it was kind of buried in the diagnostics. your reply - plus Fangfei Zhou's - got me going in the right direction. i ran /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge status, and it showed that there was no peth0. so i took a leap and ran /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge start - poof, there's my networking. the question is, why isn't this happening when the server boots. it's not a huge issue to do it by hand, really, since it's rare that the dom0 gets rebooted. but it's peculiar that it's not happening automatically as it did before.

my /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp had

(network-script network-bridge)

in it. i changed it to

(network-script '/etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge netdev=eth0')

but that made no difference- after a reboot, the networking was still down.

since i'm not 97% back in business - one of the things i had contemplated as a 'fix' was to install xen 3.2 from source. are there any risks in upgrading from 3.0.3 to the latest? more broken things, fewer, the same?

--
Paul Theodoropoulos