Re: [Xen-users] Other virtualization technologies alongside xen?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Other virtualization technologies alongside xen?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 03:30:48 +0100
Cc: Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>, Thomas Ronner <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>, Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 19:31:24 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> kqemu works with xen and that's about it.

Hmmm.  Are you talking about running kqemu in an HVM domU?  I'd expect that to
maybe work but it "shouldn't" work in dom0 in that the kernel module ought
not to be able to do its job.

Vanilla qemu should work fine since it's just a userspace app.

> On my server VMware will load
> it's module and the interface will open but it won't start any VMs.
> Virtualbox will drop your server like a rock as soon as you load the device
> driver. I've heard of people running hypervisors inside of VMware though.
> KVM and Xen are incompatible of course but that's expected since they're
> doing the same thing.

You might be able to run Xen (with PV guests only) in a KVM virtual machine.
I've managed to run PV Xen in an HVM Xen domain before.

> OpenVZ/Virtuozzo should work because they're not really Virtual Machines.

Yep, provided you find a compatible kernel patch if using them with a PV
kernel.  OpenVZ were offering dual-purpose Xen / OpenVZ kernels for RHEL last
I heard.

Cheers,
Mark