[Xen-users] Stability of Image Files

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Stability of Image Files
From: Simon Dean <sjdean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 12:28:38 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 04:29:46 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I think I've nearly evaluated all choices for which Virtualisation option to go to. Disappointed so far that I can't get my PCI Cards visible in a guest, but never mind.

On the same hardware (2 Gig RAM, AMD Athlon 64 3500 and a Fedora Core 8 i386 install), OpenVZ has a tendency to "freeze" up every now and again in SSH.KVM/Qemu seem to slow, Xen seems really quite brilliant.

If I convert my main server to an image file, what happens if that image file gets corrupted? Does such a thing happen? Seems a bit awkward to me placing all your eggs in one basket. Or am I overly concerned about nothing?

Additionally, the main thing I wanted to do with Virtualisation was to be able to migrate to another host at a drop of a hat should I need to shutdown the host. That's also a bit difficult with an image file? 600 Meg file takes 60 seconds for me, so, even a 5 Gig image file would take? What? 8 minutes? Does it transfer the image file or the contents? It's probably still quite silly if I think about the OpenVZ and transferring at minimum 2.2 Gig for a decent install.

Cheers
Simon

believed to be clean.