Re: [Xen-users] High IOWAIT

To: Maarten Vanraes <maarten@xxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] High IOWAIT
From: Nick Anderson <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 09:15:47 -0500
Cc: Lorenzo Milesi <lorenzo.milesi@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 07:16:21 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Maarten Vanraes wrote:
I must say that we have great problems with extremely high IOWAIT, possibly due to the raid card not being fully hardware raid (allthough we had requested it).

We even used the tap:aio, but it made no difference.

tap:aio could be part of your problems as well.
Its my understanding that under heavier workloads tap:aio which is still file based does not perform as well as a direct disk or lvm.

And on the storage thing, Yes it is kind of a pain that you need many disks to get faster speeds, and it seems like all they make is large disks anymore. I suppose just look at the extra storage as good backup locations :)

How many disk are in your raid set? What hardware raid card did you order?

I would highly recommend a BBU on that raid card. I know for 3ware cards specifically there is up to 10% performance increase with BBU present.

--
Nick Anderson <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.cmdln.org