Re: [Xen-users] VNC console access in paravirtualized domUs

On Thursday June 05 2008 11:35:48 pm Ray Barnes wrote:
> Thanks Jim.  I have no xorg.conf:
>
> debian:/dev# find / -print|grep -i xorg
> debian:/dev#

Probably a 'chicken or the egg' problem - you probably don't get
an /etc/X11/xorg.conf until you have a desktop you can run display device
configuration from :-) This is usually handled by your domu installer.

> I'm also trying to figure out what bearing xorg has on this, being
> paravirtualized.  Are you saying that xorg is mandatory in order to
> receive the text output of the console via VNC?  For absolute clarity,
> I have no interest in running X or VNC on the domU.  Although I did
> install it via 'apt-get -y install xorg' I could find no reference to
> fbdev in xorg.conf.  Are there alternatives, i.e. backported kernels
> from Lenny/Sid?

Vnc itself requires some sort of frame buffer device, which is only supported
in X. It's not a pv or hvm thing - it's a virtual device thing.

Now if you only want text output, all you need is 'xm create -c dom.cfg'. If
you want the boot message output, you probably want to put back
the 'console=xvc0' clause. Where you put this depends on your cfg's kernel=
parm. If you have 'kernel='/usr/bin/pygrub', you want it in your
domu's /boot/grub/grub.conf (or menu.lst for SuSE) at the end of the 'kernel'
line. If you have kernel=path-to-kernel-in-dom0, you want it in the extra=
parm of your domu's .cfg. (If you are trying to boot a 2.6.24 or higher
kernel, this becomes hvc0 instead of xvc0. My Fedora 9 pv is pretty good
about knowing the default, tho'.)

Additionally, if you want to log in after the boot messages, you need a getty
running on xvc0 (or hvc0). In the domu's /etc/inittab, near the end in the
getty section, I have co:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty xvc0 9600 vt100-nav, and
the xvc0 device has to be listed in /etc/securetty. Personally, tho' I just
use ssh to log in to the domu, since it adapts to my terminal size better.