Re: [Xen-users] Re: FW: Xen Backups

On Sunday 01 June 2008 15:33:32 Christian Tramnitz wrote:
> I guess most people would like to avoid the necessary downtime.
> On the other hand, when doing live-snapshots (i.e. LVM snapshot target),
> live-data may be corrupt (open file handles, databases)...

I actually run a script on the host that does the following:
All activities on the guest are done using SSH and shared key authentication

1) Stop the service(s) on the guest
2) Unmount the filesystem(s) on the guest to be backed up
3) detach the filesystems (xm block-detach <domain> <hd??/sd??>)
4) create snapshots
5) reattach the filesystems (xm block-attach <domain> <device> <hd??/sd??> w)
6) remount the filesystems on the guest
7) Restart the service(s) on the guest

I can then backup the filesystems using the snapshots and remove the snapshots
when the backups are finished.
Using this, the total 'downtime' is around 40 seconds (on my system) to:
- stop and start 3 services
- backup OpenLDAP and PostgreSQL
- unmount / mount 6 filesystems
- detach / attach 6 filesystems
- create 6 snapshots

The script I use also has error-handling implemented in case any action fails.
This will prevent, for example, a detach-attempt to take place on still
mounted filesystems.

HTH,

Joost Roeleveld