[Xen-users] Full Virtualized Guest on Xen

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Full Virtualized Guest on Xen
From: "Kumar, Venkat" <Venkat.Kumar@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 21:01:42 +0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 29 May 2008 09:18:02 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I installed Xen and domainU kernel on a Dell server in Bangalore.

I could create a paravirtualized guest OS (Fedora distribution) on this machine.

The command used to create a para virtualized guest is “virt-install --accelerate -p --arch x86 --ram 700 --vcpus 2 --name xvm3”.

When trying to create a fully virtualized guest os with the command “virt-install --accelerate -v --arch x86 --ram 700 --vcpus 2 --name xvm3”.

Virt-install hangs waiting on something which I am trying to figure out.

The kernel log messages shows errors few minutes after the command is run which are

===================================================================================================================================

May 27 18:11:43 localhost yum-updatesd-helper: error getting update info: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again

May 27 19:11:43 localhost yum-updatesd-helper: error getting update info: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again.

===================================================================================================================================

Which I felt is relevant for why it is hanging.

The installation location for the Guest OS is http://mirror.atrpms.net/fedora/linux/releases/8/Fedora/i386/os/

System call trace information of the command shows that it is waiting on something.

I have attached the strace info for both para virtualized and full virtualized commands for reference in case.

This shows at the end of the log that fully virtualized installation waits where in para virtualized installation proceeds smoothely.

Thx,

Venkat

Venkata Kumar Duvvuru,

Software Engineer II,