Re: [Xen-users] Simple Query on PCI passthrough I/O

To: "Mark Williamson" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Simple Query on PCI passthrough I/O
From: Asim <linkasim@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 08:08:49 -0700
Cc: "Joseph L. Casale" <JCasale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 May 2008 08:09:21 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=B/OZszTUrCDf+u5pTjMibb0QDHAG0Je+bRYSfW+p+sw=; b=ALZbkW+usWwXz9Dz4OPtzloIAxJCJDcyjRYfxqxrnJGloh7HPoQBi3b0wTiJcvdwAY61kdCRTTXa4hXrffgu76dKzASw5VjgczZ6x1Ri1lhDfgYK9O7Q0IY+/dDBks+bCerELKZOO+KiFuW9pCBHT+vYq2uGw8SRpJuW2j6HJso=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks a lot for all your responses - Chris, Mark and Joseph. They really help me.
A few followup questions from your responses.

* ... unless you are using VT-d, in which case you can pass the PCI device to
an HVM guest without that guest being able to stomp all over memory.  Patches
to support this for PV guests are in development but not done yet.

I'm running a PV. Does this mean I wont be able to do pass  through I/O?

* Don't try to xm pause, save or suspend the guest with the PCI card!  Bad
things may well happen ;-)

* You need to be running a dom0 kernel in the guest with the PCI card.
Whoa! I did not know this either. Again what are the reasons? Kindly let me know.

Thanks,
Asim