Re: [Xen-users] DomU reboot issues

To: Ray Barnes <rrb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] DomU reboot issues
From: Steve Spencer <sspencer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 14:39:07 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 May 2008 12:39:42 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
All,

Not sure if this was the "correct" way to fix this problem, but it sure seems to have worked through all my tests so far. Here's what I did:

1.) downloaded all of the RPMS for xen-3.2 (except for the SRPM) from

http://xen.org/download/dl_32rhel5.html

2.) with all of the DomU's switched off, ran:

rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps for all of the rpm's starting in reverse order (xen-libs, xen-devel, xen-dbug and xen-3.20)

3.) modified grub.conf to include the new kernel:

kernel /boot/xen.gz-3.2

Rebooted the machine and all of the vm's started. They have since been rebooted, saved and restored and then rebooted, etc. And that is all working fine.

I may have created other headaches, but so far it looks much more like what I would have expected to begin with.

Thanks to those of you who responded!

Steven G. Spencer

Ray Barnes wrote:
CentOS 5.1 is quite problematic with Xen, much more so than Cent 5.0 (which
is completely tolerable IMO).  I've filed several bug reports with the
CentOS team.  The bottom line is that RedHat is lagging in terms of pulling
in Xen builds.  They also write many patches and hotfixes that stay in
binary form, releasing them only to paid clients (seemingly in violation of
the GPL).  In short, you'll need to roll your own if you want fixes to some
of these things, or just wait for CentOS 5.2 which won't be here until the
end of summer at best.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news; I realize this
doesn't exactly answer your question either...

-Ray