[Xen-devel] GPL PV drivers for Windows - WDM version

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] GPL PV drivers for Windows - WDM version
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 11:57:49 +1000
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 May 2008 18:58:15 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm been busily converting the xenpci and xenvbd drivers from WDF to WDM
to resolve a few issues including potential licensing problems with the
Microsoft WDF and to (hopefully) allow them to function as boot drivers
when doing install and system recovery.

It was a fairly major rewrite of xenpci, and xenvbd, which are now
working (booting and running without crashes so far). I haven't touched
xennet yet so it's broken atm, although it won't be too hard to get it
working.

Also I have taken a different approach with xenhide and it should be a
lot more robust than before (eg shouldn't get duplicate disks with the
resulting corruption).

The graceful shutdown stuff in xenpci is also broken at this point, as
is the ability to unload the xenpci driver (eg BSoD on shutdown).

Is anyone interested in testing these? Particularly those of you with
the problem of the driver failing to 'hide' the qemu ATA disk(s) which
resulted in corruption. If so I'll do a 'as it is' release asap,
otherwise I'll wait until I've fixed the shutdown stuff in xenpci and
gotten xennet up and running.

The latest wdm stuff is in the wdm branch in hg if anyone wants to build
it themselves. I haven't tested the installer yet - maybe send me an
email if you want to try it that way first. Otherwise just make sure you
have removed _everything_ with 'xen' in it from the
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet in the registry and don't use install.bat,
just install using the update driver thing.

James