[Xen-users] "routed" networking under Xen 3.2.1 / HVM?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] "routed" networking under Xen 3.2.1 / HVM?
From: "Ray Barnes" <tical.net@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 01:37:59 -0400
Delivery-date: Sun, 11 May 2008 22:38:32 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=uFyOvYcyTDk55W8U59tuBYWvACyBeS1RdYLeIO1LDwI=; b=eOBaqvpJnrn3niyPc3O3YXK1ixNwjI5CftknFAI6Yvy+SNHhfkJdwdhx5y6U2IRczwBf2MpZx/eBKvGe1QZnnZmKz+LG6NqDydw3nKgoHrmBknHyuEdyiJV+SUUVUq6MPnyNnq/VkypmmFIRPUZm6HIYE0WnGsLhHrtxoNZ/e5A=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Resending this to xen-users as xen-devel yielded no replies (possibly because of a broken listserv)

---

Hi all.  Understanding that HVM does not support routed networking in the sense that we're accustomed to with paravirtualized guests, I'm hoping there is some similar use-case scenario I've missed.

I've got a requirement which calls for routing a /24 to a Xen box; various /29s will be peeled off and handed over to paravirtualized guests.  It would be nice if I could do the same with HVM guests, so that I would not have to put a router in front of the Xen box simply to run Switched Virtual Interfaces for the prefixes assigned to HVM guests.  Keeping in mind that my last in-depth search on this was a couple of months ago (and I could've been looking at year-old notes), have there been any recent advancements in this regard?  Has anyone found a "hack" to use bridged networking in the scenario described for the purpose of "routing" (even if it means I'm limited to the max number of bridges per system (8 if I recall correctly))?  Is there any such thing as "host networking" under modern Xen builds, like there is under VMWare GSX for example?  Thanks in advance.

-Ray