Re: [Xen-users] Boot into dom0 "Failed to parse block device name"

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Boot into dom0 "Failed to parse block device name"
From: Chris Hane <chrishane@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 12:07:44 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 May 2008 09:08:14 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Todd Deshane wrote:
Hi Chris,

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 4:33 PM, Chris Hane <chrishane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 I am trying to install the binary version of xen 3.1.

 When I boot, after some console output, I get the following:

 scsi_mod: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
 SCSI subsystem intialized
 :: Running Hook [udev]
 done.
 :: Running Hook [keymap]
 done.
 :: Running Hook [filesystems]
 Attempting to create root device '/dev/sda3'
 ERROR: Failed to parse block device name for '/dev/sda3'
 unknown
 ERROR: root fs cannot be detected.  Try using the rootfstype= kernel
parameter.
 Waiting for devices to settle ...done.

 Root device '/dev/sda3' doesn't exist, attempting to create it
 ERROR: Failed to parse block device name for '/dev/sda3'
 ERROR: Unable to create/detect root device '/dev/sda3'
 Dropping to a recovery shell... type 'exit' to reboot

 My grub menu is:
 timeout 5
 default 0
 color light-blue/black light-cyan/blue

 # (0) Arch Linux
 title Arche Linux
 root (hd0,0)
 kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda3 ro
 initrd /kernel26.img

 # (1) Xen 3.1
 title Xen 3.1
 root (hd0,0)
 kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=524288
 module /vmlinuz-2.6-xen root=/dev/sda3 ro
 module /kernel26xenB.img

 My fstab is:
 none  /dev/pts   devpts   defaults   0 0
 none  /dev/shm   tmpfs    defaults   0 0

 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom   iso9660  ro,user,noauto,unhide  0 0
 /dev/fd0 /mnt/fd0       vfat     user,noauto            0 0
 /dev/sda1 /boot         ext2     defaults               0 1
 /dev/sda2 swap          swap     defaults               0 0
 /dev/sda3 /             ext2     defaults               0 1
 /dev/sda4 /home         ext2     defaults               0 1

 Any help would be appreciated.

Looks like you are  missing a module in your initrd

Did you build the file: kernel26xenB.img with the kernel modules that
were in the downloaded binary package?

I just rebuild the image with the following command and am getting the same
error message.

mkinitcpio -k 2.6.18-xen -g /boot/kernel26xenB.img

/etc/mkinitcpio.conf is:
MODULES="ata_piix ext3"
BINARIES=""
FILES=""
HOOKS="base udev autodetect ide pata scsi sata keymap filesystems"

I also reinstalled the underlying os that I am building on so that the filesystem of sda3 is ext3.

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

Chris....

Cheers,
Todd