Re: [Xen-users] Disk IO trouble in Xen

To: Greg Hellings <greg.hellings@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Disk IO trouble in Xen
From: Stefan de Konink <skinkie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 00:00:37 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 May 2008 15:01:20 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 5 May 2008, Greg Hellings wrote:

> Iozone shows very similar numbers on both the Dom0 and DomU.  The DomU seems
> to freeze periodically and drop network connections.  I assumed this was IO
> related because everything else seems fine and those hdparm numbers are so
> far off.  Also heavy IO related tasks seem slow.  I'm fairly baffled now.

...to put my 2cts again. It is probably block cache related. And I really
ask for any 'real' Xen developer of Citrix to do this simple experiment
and report their findings:

Allocate a nice partition, for example on NFS. Run bonnie++ with two times
the memory size of the host system. Report findings :)

Stefan