RE: [Xen-users] iscsi conn error: Xen related?

To: "Fred Blaise" <fred.blaise@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] iscsi conn error: Xen related?
From: "Ross S. W. Walker" <rwalker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 11:39:06 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 May 2008 08:40:17 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fred Blaise wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I got some severe iscsi connection loss on my dom0 (Gentoo
> 2.6.20-xen-r6, xen 3.1.1). Happening several times a day.
> open-iscsi version is 2.0.865.12. Target iscsi is the open-e
> DSS product.
>
> Here is a snip of my messages log file:
> May  5 16:52:50 ying connection226:0: iscsi: detected conn error (1011)
> May  5 16:52:51 ying iscsid: connect failed (111)
> May  5 16:52:51 ying iscsid: Kernel reported iSCSI connection 226:0 error
> (1011) state (3)
> May  5 16:52:53 ying connection215:0: iscsi: detected conn error (1011)
> May  5 16:52:53 ying iscsid: connect failed (111)
> May  5 16:52:53 ying iscsid: connect failed (111)
> May  5 16:52:53 ying iscsid: connect failed (111)
> May  5 16:52:53 ying iscsid: connect failed (111)
> [...]
>
> and sometimes:
> May  5 16:53:11 ying iscsid: connection227:0 is operational after recovery (6
> attempts)
> May  5 16:53:11 ying iscsid: connection221:0 is operational after recovery (6
> attempts)
> May  5 16:53:12 ying iscsid: connection214:0 is operational after recovery (9
> attempts)
>
> Usually, this means loss of my Windows HVM machines.. paravirtualized
> machines seem to handle that ok, oddly (qemu?).
>
> I have read that this could be due to network state change/asymetric
> routing.. but dunno really in my case. I have 4 network interfaces (2
> dualport cards, Intel PRO/1000 MT):
>
> - 1 is dedicated to storage, with jumbo frames enabled.
> - 1 for admin tasks (web interface, ssh)
> - 2 for various vlans used
>
> Anyone experienced this already? Found a solution? Any
> recommendations?
> Any help much welcome.

Try disabling jumbo frames. I have seen a lot of cases of jumbo
frames causing a stall in the switch ports on some switches. Also
if using jumbo frames, make sure flow control isn't a problem as
a lot of switches have inadequate port buffers to handle flow
control and jumbo frames.

To note: Jumbo frames on 1Gbe isn't necessary and will in fact
increase latency which will decrease throughput. Jumbo frames
is really meant to reduce interrupts and is a lot more
affective with 10Gbe then 1Gbe. On 1Gbe if interrupts are
running too high I would use interrupt coalescence as a first
attempt to reduce them.

-Ross