Re: [Xen-users] Re: Partition vs disk images

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Partition vs disk images
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:15:05 +0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 20:15:45 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nick Anderson wrote:
Rob Greene wrote:
I've specified it as:

disk = [ "phy:lvm-raid/FileVolGroup,sda1,w" ]

But, apparantly the installer doesn't see it?

If you are using a cd based install I think you will have to do HVM for the installer to work right.
Not necessarily. Some distros (e.g : RHEL5) support installers for PV.

So you might need a line more like
'phy:/dev/xenhost-lvm/winxp,ioemu:hda,w'

In RHEL 5 at least, anaconda requires the block device/file to be mapped as disk (e.g hda, sda) not partition (e.g. sda1). Try changing it to
disk = [ "phy:lvm-raid/FileVolGroup,sda,w" ]

Having said that, if you're building lots of identical domUs, using prebuilt template (and mappingthe block device as sda1 instead of sda) should be faster than installer.

Regards,

Fajar