[Xen-users] Newbie Question on Comparisons/Advice

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Newbie Question on Comparisons/Advice
From: Tim Cook <timothywayne.cook@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 13:38:01 -0300
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 09:39:13 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:subject:from:reply-to:to:content-type:date:message-id:mime-version:x-mailer; bh=v5IlHSIOAaBCi+cqCkFjD/8+c8wQsfnDlsZ9BhghSso=; b=JLAlp0OCPfwit3YYtG89K29NW6QgyY0G3uc91+B4iO2Lloz3Uw2mJ1u18tFgsTm4dbQ/NQ2OTId2T5+toWNheF+4AAnOuNZIjt7UX2TaYdJI2YN5gfCe+6NF+p6V6NQXrZzpJr7lGKnBiNP7M4Z0QeUc0vRTYadOpISD4pQ95Z4=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi All,

I have been attempting to run WinXP under QEMU on a Fedora 8 laptop (HP
Pavilion dv8000).

It works and seems stable however anything needing the network is slow.
My need is to be able to demo some Win only applications that require a
remote connection.  Therefore this setup just won't work.

I have been looking at XEN the past few days and trying to digest all
the great documentation.  It seems to me that I would want Windows to
run in an LVM VBD environment???

I've been using Linux at various levels since 1994.  BUT! I haven't kept
up with technical stuff lately and really have only a vague clue about
LVM.  When I installed Fedora I just accepted the defaults which created
just one logical volume.  Now after reading the XEN docs I think that
there will be a need to have two LV's?  Then reading the LVM docs it
seems that this will require reducing the filesystem (ext3) size before
reducing the LV size thus putting my data at risk.

This now brings me back to having to start over reinstalling Fedora;
from my understanding.

I hope I have missed something and made this much more difficult than it
really is.  :-)

Thanks,
Tim

--
Timothy Cook, MSc
Health Informatics Research & Development Services