[Xen-users] About xen hypervisor debugging

To: "xen-users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] About xen hypervisor debugging
From: "Yuan, Cooper" <Cooper.Yuan@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 21:49:40 +0800
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 06:55:00 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all,

I am debugging xen hypervisor, version is 3.0.4-testing, Now I have some trouble in serial debugging.

when I run "target remote /dev/ttyS0" in host machine, the EIP is not accurate, just like this "0x123212ff in ?? ()", but I can list the source code.

"bt" command will show "cannot access memory at address 0x81bdff".

what I have done is as follows:

1. Set debug=y crash_debug=y

2. Pass com1=115200,8n1 console=com1,vga gdb=com1 earlygdb=y to XEN booting.

3. In minicom, give the escape character (^A by default) three times to talk to Xen.

4. Press % and observe the messages

    (XEN) GDB connection activated.

    (XEN) Waiting for GDB to attach...

5. Ctrl+A, Q to quito from minicom without reset.

6. Start gdb with  "gdb xen/xen-syms"

7. "Set remotebaud 115200"

8. "target remote /dev/ttyS0"

Then, I can't continue, run "c" will get

"Cannot insert breakpoint -2, Error accessing memory address 0x1ff100057: Input/output error".

If you can debug hypervisor through serial port, please teach me how to resolve it, or tell me your configuration. Any suggestion will be appreciated

Cooper