Re: [Xen-users] Xen and fglrx compatible?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen and fglrx compatible?
From: Jonathan Ervine <jervine@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:10:15 +0800
Delivery-date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 19:33:57 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Friday 25 April 2008 17:31:23 Didier Trosset wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using Debian/lenny, i.e. Xen 3.2, with kernels 2.6.18. I'm running all
> of this on a HP nc8430 laptop with hardware virtualization enabled.
>
> The trouble comes on dom0 with the fglrx driver (the proprietary driver for
> ATI graphics card Mobility Radeon X1600). This driver works perfectly when
> running without Xen.
>
> With Xen, if I don't use the kernel module fglrx, it is ok, but I do not
> have hardware accelerated 3D graphics. When I load the fglrx kernel module
> into the kernel, the screen shows dumb stuff : a square for the mouse, the
> rest blank, no greeter, and I cannot do anything.
>
> Is there a chance someone has this configuration runnig? (Xen with ati 3D)
> Is it possible? Am I doing something wrong? Or should I complain to ATI?

The proprietary graphics drivers have always struggled to under Xen kernels -
I've never been able to get ATI or nVidia drivers to work. It's probably due
to the fact that the binary blobs used by these drivers are making direct
hardware calls that aren't supported or available through the Xen kernel. The
only drivers I've seen work to enable compiz and Xen on the same machine are
the Intel drivers (because they're fully open source).

Jon