[Xen-users] RE: [CentOS] dd trough scp with tar

Subject: [Xen-users] RE: [CentOS] dd trough scp with tar
From: "Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:33:05 -0600
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "centos-virt@xxxxxxxxxx" <centos-virt@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:38:38 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>First, I'd expect some problems with the device drivers when you try to
>restore a vmware image onto a xen virtual environment - unless they
>present similar virtual hardware.

Actually, your lucky on this one. Windows *always* loads an ide driver into the
Critical Device Database unless you explicitly tell it not to with an
installation answer file, or remove it after install.

>However, for the actual copy operation, I'd recommend clonezilla-live
>(http://www.clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live/). Boot its iso image into a
>menu system that will let you mount the image storage space via nfs,
>samba, or ssh-fs, then tell it to save the whole disk.  The advantage
>over dd is that it knows enough about ntfs and most linux file systems
>to just save the used blocks and when you restore it will let you pick
>from the list of images you've saved.

Yup, did the same thing recently with WinPE 2.0 and Ghost (Same internal
concepts, faster then dd and ssh/cp) when moving off an ESX server into Xen 3.2.

jlc