Re: [Xen-users] Problems w/ 3Ware 9650 and 64-bit Xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Problems w/ 3Ware 9650 and 64-bit Xen
From: Martin Adolfsson <xen-users@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 07:16:59 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 22:17:41 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Freddie Cash wrote:
On April 22, 2008 01:49 am Martin Adolfsson wrote:
I am having trouble getting a RAID card (more specifically the 3Ware
9650SE-4LPML) working on Xen (64-bit).

The driver for this card was added to the mainline kernel in 2.6.20, hence the standard Xen kernel 2.6.18 won't work.

Ah, I missed that earlier. Now, however, I've downloaded the driver from 3ware.com, for kernel 2.6.18, but that seems to result in a kernel crash during the detection phase. :-\

I tried running Debian Lenny (with the 2.6.22-xen kernel from Ubuntu), Debian Sid, Ubuntu Hardy, and a bunch of different variations on the above.

The only semi-stable configuration I achieved was Ubuntu Hardy with the 2.6.24 dom0 kernel, and a forced install of the Gutsy 2.6.22-xen kernel for the domU. But that was only semi-stable. Running lots of HVMs and PVs at the same time could lock the server.

That doesn't sound too promising at all. :-\ Did you try using the 3Ware supplied 2.6.18 driver?

And depending on which version of the libc6 package was installed, you could get lots of "bus error" messages and truncated libraries. Plus,

Nasty.

getting networking to work on eth3-eth6 (and not on eth0-eth2) in Xen was a nightmare, and made even worse if you tried to create a bond0 interface of eth3-eth6 and use that for the Xen bridge (never managed to get that to work with Xen 3.2).

Yes, I use a fairly complex setup with a firewall in a domU, multiple interfaces and a bridged/routed setup. Basically, I threw out all the bundled xen-networking scripts and wrote new ones from scratch.

After three weeks, I gave up and installed Debian Lenny, upgraded to the 2.6.24 kernel, install KVM, and haven't looked at Xen since. Had a working VM setup in less than a day, with a 4-port bond0 as the physical device for the bridge.

OK - I'll take that into consideration, but given the time frames of this project, I probably have to stick with Xen one way or another. :)

//Martin