Re: [Xen-users] CentOS/Xen PCI pass-through

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] CentOS/Xen PCI pass-through
From: Jonathan Ervine <jervine@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:37:41 +0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:39:17 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thursday 24 April 2008 11:16:35 Todd Deshane wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:08 PM, Rob Greene <robgreene@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > Just to keep the conversation going, here's my status:
> >
> > It works!  My configuration from before apparently was fine -- I'm
> > not certain where the error messages went, but did disappear (and I
> > didn't have to reinstall CentOS after all).
> >
> > I do have an anomaly, and this might help others:  If I start from
> > the Virtual Machine Manager, the PCI pass-through *does not work*.
> > If I start with "xm create ______", PCI pass-through *does work*.
> > I'm not certain of what the actual difference is between these, but
> > that's good to know.
>
> Thanks for reporting that. There must be some sort of bug or config
> problem somewhere.
>
> I wonder if virt-manager is using a different config file than you
> expect? If not then some bug or problem somewhere else.
[Sorry - not sent to the list originally...]

Typically - yes. I've not looked at RHEL/CentOS lately, but I suspect
the implementation of virt-manager is the same as that in SUSE, whereby
the VMs configurations are stored rather than read from their config
files. You can probably 'fix' the datastore dy doing xm delete <VM
name> and then xm new <config file name>. This will re-add the VM to
the datastore using the updated config file.

e.g if xm list shows I have a DomU called fedora, and I have a config
file called /etc/xen/vm/fedora (default location in SUSE) I would run
xm delete fedora to remove the entry from the datastore, and then run
xm new fedora to recreate it from the config file in /etc/xen/vm

Hope this helps,
Jon