Re: [Xen-users] 32-bit OS images

To: "Asim" <linkasim@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] 32-bit OS images
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 14:11:46 -0600
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 13:12:54 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1) xm create requires a domU file that specifies a kernel.  You get the kernel from a kernel package - usually they're labeled with and -xen version.  I highly recommend, though, that you use something like virt-manager and/or vm-install to install domUs, generate configs, etc.  It makes life a lot easier when dealing with Xen domUs.  You can find virt-manager at http://virt-manager.et.redhat.com.

As far as 32-bit vs. 64-bit, the vm-install tools will automatically choose for you based on the install media you have available.  If you have install media that supports both 32 and 64 bit, 64 bit is usually the default.  If you have a 32-bit only install media, the tools are able to work with that.  Please note that most 64-bit versions of Xen I've used require that anything 32-bit use PAE, unless you're doing HVM, in which case you can use just about whatever you like.

2) You don't want to do direct NIC access to a domU, you want to use a bridge.  By default XEN creates a bridge (can't remember what they're calling it these days) that bridges eth0 to all of your domUs.  This should allow you to use your single network card with as many domUs as you have on your system.

-Nick

>>> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at  1:19 PM, Asim <linkasim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I have  a naive question. People can RTFM me if they point me to an
appropriate manual.

I have a 64 bit x86_64 machine running a 32 bit Dom0. I want to
install a 32 bit DomU on top of it doing direct network access.

1. My first question is xm create requires a DomU kernel. Where do I
get one such kernel from?

2. I have a single network NIC, will I need separate NICs if I want to
do direct NIC access from DomU? Also, any specific differences
in xm create if I want to do direct device access.

Answers to either of the query will greatly help!

Regards,
Asim

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information. In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox. Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.