Re: [Xen-users] Xen, LVM, DRBD, Linux-HA

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen, LVM, DRBD, Linux-HA
From: "Daniel Asplund" <danielsaori@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 23:24:43 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:25:21 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=zECwjTmzAv5KzGf4dyK//dZl7OWgEdljjqWBBmomBZ4=; b=H1MQBs3HjhEtyk9NQYRL0VyAf7VESuu34Cmm/AYG9IXA1fhbXCLtb6AoWZXbZwHQcxcYC8dT9E0l2ON+9jn2CJRr9IBy5/i7LHrxkVJCzVqMPCOCYpNfaRGYs2DZrLZpp6GYlT+YTg2uhX+qvjH4g6C6ae89buRDROnbzlChG8E=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I get the impression that you want to run Linux-HA inside of the VM. Why not put it on the Dom0 in your two physical nodes and have them control all your VMs? Have you considered that or is it not fulfilling your needs?
I have a setup like that with two physical nodes. For each VM I create the needed LVMs, same size on both nodes. I create a DRBD resource for each LVM to have the data mirrored between the two nodes. Have each VM configured to use its DRBD resources. Have heartbeat install on both nodes that controls fail over of all VMs.

Live migration works for all para-VMs but not for HVMs. With HVMs I use heartbeat to shutdown it down before starting it on the other node.

Cheers, Daniel